Saturday, March 2, 2013

Cannula

Bert and I went down for the 11:00 Cares and were standing by Addison's bed waiting for the nurse and the Respiratory Therapist to come and start.  The nurse finally came up, but instead of talking to us and introducing herself, she sat down by another nurse and started shooting the breeze.  I figured she was still just waiting for the Respiratory Therapist to come.  After 20 minutes, I finally asked her if she had already done the Cares for the girls and she said she had.  She'd gotten in with both of them at 10:30 so we had just missed it.  I understand when they need to get in and do it because the babies' are restless, but I was super bugged that she didn't tell me when I got there. 

Dr. Minton was the girls' doctor today and he decided we should try Addi off the vent again today.  He wanted to put a cannula in her nose that was hooked up to the ventilator machine and it would blow puffs of air in to help open up her lungs.  She would still have to do most of the work herself but it would help out a little.  I told him I didn't like the idea and that she has been through so much this past week and needed a break.  He told me that today is a new day and he didn't see any benefit in waiting a day because he could come in tomorrow and she could have something wrong and they would have missed their opportunity.  He said that when they have an opportunity, they have to take it. They want to get the babies off the ventilators as quickly as possible because there is always a risk of infection when you have something foreign in your body.  She was on the new machine for about 2 1/2 hours and then they had to intubate her again and put her back on the ventilator.  She's doing fine back on her vent and is much more relaxed.  We weighed her tonight and she was 910 grams.  That's just over 2 lbs.  She's still getting 2 ml's of milk but it will start increasing every day now.

Jordyn continues to do well on her CPAP machine.  She's been on it for 2 days now and they are pleased with her progress.  Her eyes are still fused shut.  I keep hoping when I go in that they will have opened while I was away, but no luck so far.  She is now getting 5 ml's of milk every 3 hours and it will continue to increase everyday.  When we weighed her tonight she was 930 grams which translates to about 2 lbs. 1 oz.

No comments: