Thursday, May 23, 2013

Rooming In

I woke up to a text from Alyssa today saying that Jordyn had barely made it through her feedings during the night and seemed to be slowing down and getting really tired.  I came in for the 7:30 Cares but both girls were sound asleep.  I needed to pump so I decided I would do that and give Addi a bottle when she woke up.  She woke up right after I started, of course.  Carly fed her a bottle while I finished pumping and then I attempted to feed Jordyn.  She was grunting a lot and seemed like she needed to poop and wasn't at all interested with eating.  After finally giving her an enema and waiting for her to poop, she was way too tired to eat a bottle.  The doctor said we could give her one last chance to prove she was ready but during that feeding she DESATed way low and took awhile to come back up.  We agreed that she was being pushed too hard and she needed a 12 hour rest again and hopefully be able to get back to it tomorrow.  So Addi will come home tomorrow but Jordyn will have to wait a day or two.  I'm so sad that they aren't coming home together but I'm grateful that it won't be long before they are both home.

It's been an overwhelming 2 days while everybody comes in to talk to me about what I need to be doing when I go home and handing me papers to sign and read.  Discharge from the NICU is crazy because they wait until the very end like this and then bombard you with information.  If you have a baby that is going home on oxygen then they have you stay there at the hospital for about 12 hours in your own room with the babies so you can learn how the new equipment works.  Bert and I came down to the hospital at noon today to start our rooming in.  All the rooms were full so we ended up just doing it in the room we have been in.  We thought it would be easier to do it now before Addi goes home.  The Intermountain Home Care came to show us how to set up the oxygen that Jordyn will come home with and we have just been sitting in our room taking care of the girls.  It's been so weird to not have any other responsibilities.  We'll be here until about midnight and then go home to get some sleep before we're back tomorrow morning to get Addi and take her home.

5 comments:

The Figgins said...

Yay! So glad you finally get to take one of the girls home!

Rosie and Derek said...

So excited for you to have at least one of your babies home! Is there anything I can do to help?

SaraKeele said...

Holly I think you are so amazing! I love reading your blog and keeping up with how the twinnies are doing. What an adventure you are having! And someday you'll be able to look back and breathe a sigh of relief that all is well.I would still love to be able to help you so please let me know how and when I can. Love you guys!

Christensen's said...

I am assuming they are home. Hope your move went well. We will miss you guys!

Hooleys said...

So happy for you. i know that you are probably overwhelmed but happy to have your babies at home where they belong. Miss you.