Tuesday, April 30, 2013

NICU Stages

I was talking to the woman who is in charge of the Parent Support Group tonight.  She was asking me how I was holding up and then talking to me about her experience with the NICU.  We talked about how terrifying and stressful it was for that first month or so.  I made sure my phone was right next to my bed every night just in case the NICU needed to call me in the night.  As soon as I woke up in the morning, I called down to see how they were and how their night went.  I cried a lot and prayed a lot.  Then we sort of hit a plateau where they started doing really well and growing and the scary part was over.  Now I am in the frustration stage where I have to be so patient and wait for them to learn to breastfeed so they can finally come home.  One day it seems like they are really getting it and then, instead of progressing, the next day one of them won't want to do anything at all.  Tonight Jordyn's test weight was -5 which means she worked so hard during nursing that she actually lost 5 grams.  I really want her to get it down so she can catch up a little bit to Addi.  But I guess we can only go up from there, right?

No comments: