Saturday, April 13, 2013

Half a Suite

When I got to the NICU this morning, the receptionist told me the girl's beds had been put together in the same spot.  Our Suite has been cut in half and we are now forced to squeeze together in a tiny space.  The NICU is almost at full capacity and they have been getting so many new, tiny babies in so they needed us to squeeze together.  As soon as Jordyn is off the High Flow we will be moving over to Nursery B, but if they continue to have new, tiny baby's coming then we might have to move over earlier.


After I finished breastfeeding Addi I handed her to Tiff to hold and I held Jordyn.  While I had her out of her bed Keri swapped beds again.  She was getting too hot in the isolette and couldn't even be swaddled anymore.  She's now in an open crib.  Lots of the nurses have told me that they used to put twins together in the same crib and they seemed to love it and usually did better when they were together.  The doctors sort of frown upon it now because the American Pediatric Association has said it can cause SIDS.  I really want to do it and wonder if it will help Jordyn catch up to Addi a little faster.  I don't worry about anything happening because they are hooked up to so many monitors and alarms.  I won't be putting them together at home because I can't keep an eye on them 24 hours a day, but I think it would be fun for them to be together until they come home.  I'm hoping I can find a doctor who will write the order for them to co-bed.


Addi weighs 1809 grams (3 lbs 15 oz) and is getting 35 mls (1.18 oz) of breastmilk every 3 hours.  Jordyn is 1896 grams ( 4 lbs 2 oz) and gets 11 mls of milk per hour.  She is still on the continuous feeding and so it works out to be about 1.1 oz after 3 hours.  We've come a long way since the days when they got 1 ml every 4 hours.

2 comments:

Christensen's said...

I was so sad to see your for sale sign in your yard!!! I can see why you are moving, but we are going to miss you!!!

Kirst said...

Holls, with so much going on and so many emotions you have been such a trooper and been so positive about the experiences you guys are having. I am go glad that your girls are doing so well and growing so quickly! Thanks for sharing and letting me in on what is going on through your blog. We pray for each of you by name every day! Sure love ya!