Thursday, February 28, 2013

Best Day Yet!!

 Mom and I went in for Cares at 11:00 just like always.  I said something to our nurse, Keri, about how much I was looking forward to holding them and she couldn't believe that I hadn't held them yet  I was told I couldn't hold them as long as they were on a ventilator and they are still technically on a ventilator.  Keri said that I could hold them with these new ventilators because the tubing is more flexible.  She asked me if I wanted to do it now or wait until later and, of course, I couldn't wait!


I held Addison first for about 30 minutes.  They had me take off my shirt and hold her skin-to-skin.  Cathy, the Respiratory Therapist, said that some babies take a little while to get used to being held, but both my girls seemed to love it.  Their vitals were perfect and they just pretty much went to sleep listening to my heartbeat.  Brenda, our doctor for today, came in to talk to me while I was holding her.  She said that Addi is doing really good on her new vent and also with the 2 ml's of milk.  Her stomach was a little bloated today and so they had to give her a glycerin enema which helped move things along.  They still haven't been successful getting her PICC in so they had the Pediatric Surgeon come look at her and put in a Central Line.  They had to make a small cut on her chest and feed the catheter right into one of her veins.  She did really well during the procedure and will be able to keep that Central Line in for as long as she needs it.  She's done being poked for IV's!!



Keri explained that I will be able to hold the girls once a day for about an hour each.  Jordyn was so relaxed while I was holding her.  She kept moving her eyebrows up and down and tried and tried to get her eyes open.  Brenda said that Jordyn is also doing really well with her 2 ml's of milk.  Her vent settings were as low as they could go so they decided to seize the opportunity and switched out her machine this afternoon.  She is now on a CPAP machine which covers her nose and blows out oxygen, but she is doing all the breathing on her own.  They gave her the new machine at about 4:30 this afternoon and she has been doing really well so far! 


When she was done holding onto my finger, she put her fingers into her mouth.  I didn't want to put them back in their beds, but it is so nice to know that I can hold them everyday now.  I finally get to snuggle with my babies!  It's been a long time coming, but so worth the wait!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

When Tiff showed me the picture at lunch it brought tears to my eyes and has again as I just read your post. I am so excited for you guys. I am so happy to hear of all of the great things that have been happening this past week with your sweet girls.

It really is the best day ever when you finally get to hold your baby. I am sure they were happy to hear and feel your love, warmth and heartbeat. It will be so much more fun to go down and actually get to snuggle those adorable girls. We will continue to pray for more great things to come to you and your sweet family.

Lynette Keele said...

Holly,
We are so happy that you have finally been able to hold those cute little girls. We have been amazed at the strength you and Bert have shown throughout this experience. We know that Heavenly Father is blessing you with tender mercies every day. Our family continues to pray for all of you!

The Figgins said...

Awesome! I am so glad you can hold your sweet little girls.

Terri Russon said...

I had to read this post twice because I was crying the first time and could hardly see it. I am so happy for you to be able to hold your baby girls now. What a blessing! I love how Jordyn held your finger. That was precious!! We love you guys!