Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Donald F. Keele

Bert's dad passed away early Sunday morning. It was a very peaceful and sweet experience. For the last 6 months he has been in a care center and about a week ago Peggy felt impressed that it was time to bring him home. She said she missed his company and wanted to be the one to take care of him. He hasn't been doing so well recently and has been losing a lot of weight and even had to be put in a wheelchair because he was falling down too much. So we all thought that if he was going to continue to go downhill it would be better for him to be at home when he passed away. But even after she made the decision there was a lot to be done to get him home and so it was going to take 2 weeks. She went to see him last Saturday and he had gotten really bad and had been in bed for 5 days and wasn't opening his eyes anymore. But it was a Saturday and private ambulance she had ordered to transport him home wasn't working on weekends.
Bert got in contact with my brother Ben who is a paramedic/fireman for Orem City. He said there probably wasn't anything they could do to help us out. But then Ben called back about 5 minutes later and said his Captain was a really nice guy and really wanted to help us out. So Bert and Ben got it all arranged and Don finally got home around 8 o'clock. The family all gathered around to be with him on Saturday night. It was so sad to see him laying in the hospital bed and not opening his eyes. It was a sweet experience to be with him and tell him goodbye. I had left my kids with Tiff and my parents and kept thinking I should go home so they could get some sleep but I just didn't want to leave him and felt like it was going to be my last time to see him. We got a phone call later that night at 4:30 saying he had just passed away.

It was really peaceful and he just went in his sleep. Don was one of the nicest men I have ever known!! He was an excellent husband and father and a great role model for everyone. He will be dearly missed but we all know he is in a better place and that he can be himself again!!

8 comments:

Kate said...

I'm sorry to hear about Bert's dad passing away, but that's really neat that he was able to come home Saturday night and be with all the family. I'm glad it was peaceful and that he was able to be at home. We'll be thinking of you guys.

Unknown said...

We are thinking of your family and hope that you guys can continue to feel peace and comfort. It is never easy to lose a loved one, even though you know that they are now in a better place.

Christensen's said...

Sorry to hear that. It's nice to know that they are in a better place.

Pays said...

We are thinking of you and your sweet family. What a great comfort to us all, to know that we can someday be united together again forever!! Be sure to let us know if you need anything.

Marylynn said...

I am sorry to hear about Don. He really was a great guy. I have known him all my life and he has touched it many times. I am glad that you were able to be with him when he passed. That is a special experience. Let me know if there is anything that we can do for you. You and your family are in our prayers.

Emily said...

That's really neat that he got to be home and you could all spend that time together. It's amazing how strong the Spirit is at times like these.

Just Another Day.. said...

do you know when the funeral will be?

Sunshine Girl said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Know that you and your family are in my prayers. Please let me know if there is anything you need.