Monday, October 19, 2009

Bert's Birthday

Wow I haven't updated this in a while! Bert turned 30 on Oct 7th. I think he had a good day! We went golfing in the evening after work and then out to his favorite restaurant, Goodwood. Then we picked up the boys from Nana's house and went home to have cake and open presents. The boys picked out a Cookies n' Cream ice cream cake from the store and we all enjoyed it very much.

I really wanted to do something fun for his birthday this year since 30 is sort of a milestone. So I threw a surprise birthday party for him on the Saturday after his birthday. It turned out really well! I stressed about it so much that I woke up that morning with a cold sore! That's the way it goes!
We had the party at Westmore Park and it's hidden from the road so I made this sign with my mom and Erin and we all held it for him so he saw it right after he turned the corner into the parking lot!Casey was in charge of getting him to the park so he took Bert golfing in the morning with Scott and Nick. It was nice to have him gone while I was doing last minute preparations....but golf is not something that you can time exactly so they ended up being about 45 minutes later than I had hoped and planned for.

My sister-in-law Becky gave me this idea and I loved it! It turned out just like I imagined and it was fun and easy. I had make copies of a bunch of his baby pictures and fun pictures growing up and they were on some of the triangles. It was fun to see people enjoy them.

We had so much yummy food!! Thanks to everyone who brought something! There was plenty and it was ALL really good!


Last...but definitely not least...the cake! My sisters and mom helped me with this and it took us about 4 hours to get it done! I loved the finished product and Bert was really impressed too! Everything on the cake is edible! It's all made out of Fondant frosting...even the golf ball and clubs. My sister made the cupcakes for me and they turned out super cute too!

It turned out well and all my stressing was for nothing! I'm so glad to have it over with and not have to worry about what I say in front of Bert anymore. There were so many times that I would have to catch myself so I wouldn't give anything away! That was starting to get really hard. Plus, I know I'm a bad liar and I can't look people in the eyes when I do it and so that would stress me out too. I was sure he knew something was up...but he says he had no idea and he was completely surprised! Happy Birthday Old Man!!!

7 comments:

Kirst said...

You did a lot of work and it really paid off! How fun - I loved the pics and I LOVED the cake. Way to go! I hope Bert feels really loved!

Kate said...

Wow, that cake is awesome Holly! You did such a good job! Happy Birthday Bert, looks like the surprise party was a success. Haha, I'm the same way Holly, I'm a horrible liar too!

JR said...

So fun! What a good wife!!! I didn't even know you made cakes...! Happy Birthday to Bert!

Jill Sorhus said...

Happy Birthday Bert!!! 30 years old!!! You are getting old!. . . . wait that means I'm even older. Awesome party and beautiful cake. Wish we could have been there to celebrate!!!

Pays said...

Welcome to the old people's club, Bert! :) What to go, Holly!! That was quite the party. I'm very impressed. I love the cake!!

The Figgins said...

Love the pictures on the triangles! Yes I have been sick but I'm finding that if I start the day with protein I do better so it's improving as I learn how to eat.

Christensen's said...

Wow 30 years old!!! Bert...you are getting old :) Looks like a fun party and what an awesome cake! I am jealous that everyone can do these fancy cakes, but me. I need some lessons Holly.