Sunday, June 14, 2009

Orem Firefighter's 5K

If you know me at all, you know I am not a runner! I really don't like it! I was one of those girls that always tried to get out of the Fun Run's in junior high and high school. I can even remember bribing my weight lifting teacher in high school with a burger and fries from Burger King, so he would excuse me and my friend from class that day and we didn't have to run the mile!! I know, pretty pathetic!
But on the other hand I have always thought it would be such an awesome accomplishment to run in a race. So on that note, I set out a few months back to prepare for a 5K. My friends showed me this program they have online called "Couch to 5K" and I started doing it. The first week they have you alternate 60 seconds jogging with 90 seconds walking and you keep that up for about 20 minutes. It sounds easy, and it probably would be for a lot of you, but for me it was torture and it was hard!! But, I had a good friend who was doing it with me and so I kept at it!! And so....on Saturday I ran in my first ever 5K and I ran the whole time! It took me 42 minutes to finish (I am very slow) and I feel so awesome! I was on such a high on Saturday and couldn't help being proud of myself!


Me and my friend Kirsten in front of the Firetruck.


Yeah we made it to the Finish Line!! It was so awesome to see the finish line and see my friends and family there. Thanks for coming and supporting me!!

The 2 cutest supporters! Thanks Kirst for pushing me to get up early every morning and run!! You believed in me more than I did and you were right! I did it! And if I can do it...anybody can!!!

11 comments:

Marylynn said...

That is so great!! O really wish I could do something like that. So when I read this I had a flashback and had to laugh. I flashed back to high school PE and us running around the gym and you clapping. Do you remember what happened?

Hansens said...

That is very cool !! Congratulations on finishing.

Pays said...

Way to go, Holly!!! That is awesome. I wasn't a runner either, then my brother talked me into doing my first 5k last week. I know what you mean! It is an awesome feeling. Now you should come and do the 5k at the freedom festival (on the 4th) with us. It would be fun. Congrats again!

Sam said...

That's way awesome, congrats!!

The Figgins said...

I am so proud of you Holls! I wish I had friends here cool enough to do a 5K with. I wish I had weather that would allow my to run a 5K. I am totally jealous!

Rosie and Derek said...

Good job Holly, that is awesome! And I haven't run much lately but I am SO slow too! :)

Christensen's said...

Congrats!!! That is an awesome accomplishment! Good for you!

Kate said...

Good Job Holly! That's very cool you did that, what a great accomplishment! It was fun seeing you for a bit on Saturday.

scrambled brains said...

Nice going Pres! I'm way proud of you:)

brandya said...

I am soo incredibly proud of you! You go girl! Congrats on such an amazing feat! I don't even imagine running in my dreams. You are amazing and I love you tons and tons!

Brenda said...

Holly that is so cool. What a great accomplishment. I guess I need to come join you on the track again.